Understated elegance in Luang Prabang
5 Days 4 Nights
It is hard to say what the best of Luang Prabang is as there are plenty of choices that can make you confused. This tour will offer you some of them including the Baci Ceremony, the unique tradition of Laos; the sunset cruise along the Mekong, which may take your breath away admiring the sun setting over the mountain and Mekong River; the Shangri Lao experience, and the stay the Lao Spirit Resort, which give you the chance to exploring and living in the nature of Laos is also what make your trip unforgettable.
Day 1 : Luang Prabang Arrival
Arrival airport, please go to custom desk as your first point of entry to get visa-on-arrival into the country and pay stamping fees directly by cash to custom office there then guide will pick you up outside and transfer to the city for check in
On arrival at the airport, you will be met and transferred to check in the hotel.
Afternoon, your guide bring you to a local family to enjoy a private Baci ceremony after sunset. The Baci ceremony as a traditional ritual of the Lao people expresses the spirituality of the country and is a highly memorable experience and a deep insight into Lao culture for the participants. We then transfer back to the city center to have the first taste of Lao foods at one of the best restaurant in Luang Prabang
Day 2 : Luang Prabang – Kuang Si Waterfalls – Sunset Cocktail
An optional early start gives you the fantastic opportunity to participate in the daily morning rituals of saffron-clad monks collecting offerings of Alms (ubiquitous sticky rice) from the faithful residents. This tradition is very unique in Laos, being the only Buddhist nation still preserving the procession. From here, we visit local market near the Royal Palace where you can find anything from fresh vegetables, rice, streamed fish, frogs and many other things. This is an opportunity to get a real flavor of the local culture.
We then drive to Kuang Si Falls, located 30 kilometers south of Luang Prabang. The many tiered waterfalls have scooped out small basins of turquoise color. You can cool off with a refreshing swim in the pools and hike around the falls if wanted. You’ll also visit the Kuang Si Falls Butterfly Park, one of the must-visit spots, newly opened on January 2014.
From there, we will transfer to the Living Craft Center, where we will be welcomed by the Manager, who will offer us the tour around the center and give us the detailed explanation of what the center are doing to promote the traditional Lao silk. This is the good chance for you to have a soft knowledge of the Lao traditional weaving techniques.
After the tour, we will enjoy the wonderful sunset cocktail at the Living Craft Center terrace overlooking the Mekong River. This is the really unforgettable experience for you when visiting Laos; the best way to catch the last beauties of the day. We then transfer back to your hotel.
Day 3 : Luang Prabang – Shangri Lao Experience
8:00 – 8:30 am: Your tour begins when your private guide picks you up at your hotel in Luang Prabang city
- Transfer by VIP van to the Shangri-Lao Explorer Camp, 15 km outside of Luang Prabang.
- Upon arrival, stow your luggage at the reception and receive an introductory tour of the elephant camp. Your guide will teach you about elephants. You may talk with our veterinarian, feed the elephants or relax by the riverside.
- Start the adventure with a 5 km elephant ride through forests and over hills to the hidden Huay Sae Valley in the same way Dr. Neis did over a century ago.
- After reaching the protected Huay Sae Valley, you will leave the elephants and enjoy a luxury lunch of traditional Lao food with wine by a secluded waterfall. Depending on the water level you may swim in the cool, natural pools.
- Continue with a 5 km trek on foot. The adventurous trail crosses bamboo bridges and passes waterfalls with blue pools and dense jungle.
- Down at the Nam Khan River, a luxury bamboo raft is waiting your arrival to take you back to the elephant camp. Slowly float downstream during a relaxing 5 km river journey and enjoy a coffee as you relax and watch the traditional village life of farmers and fishermen along the river. Take the option of a 30 minute visit to the beautiful Tad Sae Waterfall.
- In the late afternoon you will arrive at the camp where your luxury tent is ready for check-in. Spend the rest of the day at the jacuzzi swimming pool or go for a walk with your guide to visit a local village.
- In the evening a delicious barbeque dinner will be served under the starry sky.
- Retire for the night in your luxury tent which will touch all of your senses with its unique decor and surroundings.
Day 4 : Shangri Lao – Lao Spirit Resort
The day begins with breakfast on the riverside while the sun slowly rises over the mountains. The remote villages are springing to life as you watch the villagers put small boats into the river, tend to their fields, take their children to school or wash their clothes in the river.
After breakfast your guide will introduce you to your elephant and it’s time for your Mahout training. Bond with her as you receive your basic training to be a mahout. With real hands-on experience you may climb onto your elephant and control her riding bareback on her neck.
After your mahout training you will ride your elephant bareback to the river where you bathe her and guide her through the river back to camp – an unforgettable and once in a lifetime experience!
Back at the camp, help your mahout to put on the howdah seat on your elephant, before saying good-bye and thank you by offering her some delicious bananas. Your guide will also teach you more about the relationship between mahouts and elephants.
At 11:30am it is time to check out of your luxury tent.
Then enjoy your lunch by the riverside or on the deck of the Jacuzzi swimming pool.
In the afternoon, you may stroll through the nearby village and visit the small temple with your guide. Experience the local lifestyle in the remote village and learn about the ethnic groups of Laos.
4:30 – 5:00 pm leave the camp and return by VIP van to Luang Prabang city where your guide will drop you off at your hotel (30 – 45 minute travel time).
Day 5 : Lao Spirit Resort – Departure
You are free to stroll around the resort for your own exploration before transferring back to the city and taking the departure flight for the next destination